~ Primary 7
Mr. Hall & Mr. Clyde
– Swimming-each Tuesday at Cascades, Portadown
Please ensure all clothing is clearly labelled and encourage your child to take responsibility for bringing their own kits on the correct day!
• Spellings-8 to 10 spellings will be set on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday each week. They will be tested in class the next day
• Friday Test-any 20 of the week’s spellings will be tested along with a Folens mental-maths test
• Number facts-to be learned each night given
• Written homeworks-Literacy will be set each Monday and Wednesday and Numeracy will be set each Tuesday and Thursday. All written homeworks must be signed.
• Reading-please discuss your child’s reading and sign their reading record book
• Homework vouchers will be given out when pupils have reached 200 points
• Place value to millions
• Place value to 3 decimal places
• Multiplying and dividing by 10, 100, 1000, 10000
• Rounding to the nearest 10, 100, 1000, 10000, whole number, decimal places
• Use of 4 number operations to 3 decimal places
• Relationship between fractions, decimals and percentages
• Function machines
• Multiples, factors, prime numbers, square numbers, cube numbers, triangular numbers
• Negative numbers
• Estimating and approximating involving rounding
• Problem-solving linked to ‘Money-Wise’
- Surveys and questionnaires
- Bar graphs with a key
- Line/trend graphs
- Travel graphs
- Compound graphs
- Pie charts
- Link pie charts with bar graphs
- Calculate mean, mode, median and range in data
- Spreadsheets linked to ‘Money-Wise’
• Multiplication and division by 2-12
• IZAK 9 weekly challenges
• Daily number facts
World Around Us
- Queen Victoria (timeline of main events during her reign)
- Children in Victorian Times
- The Great Famine (visit to Ulster American Folk Park)
- William Morris Art
- Explore rainforests, polar lands, deserts (location, climate, animals, plants, people, famous explorers) and consider man’s impact on each biome
- Rainforest art
- Electricity (including building circuits with switches)
- Energy Resources (renewable, non-renewable)
- Money Sources (where does money come from at home/school, use of money at home/school)
- School Money Waste
- Money and me (pocket money)
- Classroom budgeting
- Managing our money
- Money-Saving tips
- Money Diary
- Spending, Saving or Sharing our Money
- Money Promises
- Comparing Prices at home and away (exchange)
- Comparing prices in the past
- Plan and host a coffee morning for charity
Change Your Mindset
P7 class present cheque to Air Ambulance NI
On Thursday 14th November Colleen Milligan, fundraiser manager, visited Richmount PS to chat to the P7 class about the work of the Air Ambulance NI and receive the donation from their recent coffee morning held in school. Pupils were given the opportunity to ask her questions and find out what their £730 raised would be used for. The class would like to say a huge ‘thank you’ to all their sponsors, supporters, suppliers and pupils for their generosity.
Weekly IZAK 9 P7 Challenge
Each week in class Mr Clyde introduces an IZAK 9 Challenge to P7 involving mental mathematics, logical thinking, communication and team work in order to achieve success. The class use a series of cubes to solve a problem given by Abacus and Helix online. A record of points is banked each week and the winning team will receive a prize each term.
P7 pupils have been involved in a project organised by the Richmount Rural Community Association. This project is based on the “Giants’ Graves”, Neolithic burial chambers which were originally sited at Ballinteggart House close to Portadown. Within the project the pupils have been constructing a Neolithic round house from hazel rods. The practical workshops have been taken by Stephen Mackey a sculpture and fine art specialist.
Measures in Numeracy with Mr Clyde
The P7 class have started working on Measures in Numeracy with Mr Clyde. We are investigating and solving problems with length. In groups we had to select the most suitable piece of equipment, estimate and then measure each given scenario and record on a data collection sheet.
Shared Education 2019-2020 P7
The P7 class at Richmount PS had a very successful introductory day to their Shared Education programme. The P6/7 class travelled from St John’s, Eglish PS for an action-packed day of ice-breaker activities, team challenges and sports’ tournament. Mr Clyde and Mr McKenna would like to thank Karol McQuade who helped lead the day. Pupils integrated very well together and enjoyed spending time chatting over their lunch. The P7 class will travel to St Johns next Friday (14th Feb) for day 1 of their STEM activities focused on the topic of Flight.
P7 pupils visited Titanic Belfast on Wednesday 11th March 2020 as part of their World Around Us Titanic Project. They enjoyed the “Ship of Dreams” interactive tour tracing the ships story from its inception, design, building, launch, maiden voyage, its sinking and the aftermath of the disaster.