~ Primary 6 & 7 ~
Mr. Hall & Mr. Clyde
Personal Development and Mutual Understanding
– Making a mini water treatment plant
– Building and testing a model submarine
– Designing new crisp bags for Tayto
– Interactive organ website
– Research internet for areas under study
– Products produced in N. Ireland
– Tayto www.tayto.com
– Water www.niwater.com
– Produce a healthy eating leaflet
Spellings – 8 to 10 spellings will be set on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday each week. They will be tested the next day in class.
Friday Test – Each Friday all of the week’s spellings will be tested in class.
Tables/Number Facts – Learn throughout the week in preparation for Friday test.
Literacy Homework – A literacy homework will be set each Monday and Wednesday night. (All written homeworks must be signed for points to be awarded)
Numeracy Homework – A Numeracy homework will be set each Tuesday and Thursday night. (All written homeworks must be signed for points to be awarded)
Reading – Please discuss your child’s reading with him/her and sign their homework diary
Homework vouchers will be given out when pupils have reached 200 points!
– Multiplying decimals by decimals
– Order a set of consecutive 3 d.p. numbers (increasing and decreasing)
– Order a set of non-consecutive 3 d.p. numbers (increasing and decreasing)
– Demonstrate value of digits in any 3 d.p. number
– Round 3 d.p. numbers to the nearest whole number, and to 1 d.p. and 2d.p.
– Mentally calculate multiples of 10% of quantities (e.g. 30% of 140 as (10% of 140) x 3)
– Mentally calculate %s of multiples and factors of 100
– (e.g. find 18% of 300 as 18 x 3)
– Use negative numbers in calculations in everyday contexts
– Understand triangular numbers through spatial arrangements
– Understand the effect of using brackets in calculations.
– Use understanding of different ways of funding large purchases to decide on most cost effective choice e.g. calculating total cost of a holiday using different payment schemes.
Shape & Space
– 2D shape – recognition, properties, symmetry, angles
– 3D shape – recognition, properties, nets
– Tables- Multiply & Divide by 2-12
– Number Facts (Competencies)
– Mental Maths – IZAK9 tasks with shape
Surveys, tallying, traffic surveys, bar graphs, line graphs pie charts (P7), mean, mode, median, range, probability
Tables – Multiply & Divide by 2-12</
Number Facts (Competencies)<
Revise place value of any whole number up to at least 5 digits (P7- six digits)
Count, read, write and order whole numbers to 900’000 (P7- One million)
Count, read, write, order and work with decimals two 2 decimal places (P7- three decimal places)
Multiply and divide whole numbers and decimals by 10, 100, 1000
Develop quick recall of multiplication and division facts up to 12×12
Round, estimate and approximate numbers
Revise percentages. Find 25%, 50%, 75% (P7- 20%, 30%, up to 90% by finding 10% and multiplying appropriately
Consolidate the relationship between fractions, decimals and percentages
World Around Us
World War One Centenary Project
On Wednesday 7th and Monday 12th November, primary seven took part in a World War One Centenary project organised by South Lough Neagh Regeneration Association. The pupils enjoyed an interactive school based session taken by staff from the Navan Centre at Armagh. During this session the pupils made replica war medals, then were put through some drills by staff in period costume. They simulated going over the top from a trench and tried out atefacts, namely a Mills bomb, stick grenade, gas mask, Enfield rifle, helmets and a trench periscope. This session proved to be an excellent forerunner to the second part of the project which was a trip to the Somme Centre outside Newtownards.
At the Somme Centre the pupils learned about why the first World War broke out in 1914 and why men and boys from all traditions volunteered to join the fight. The highlight of the visit was a walk through the mock trenches, following in the footsteps of the 36th Ulster Division why fought so gallantly during the first day of the Somme offensive on 1st July 1916.